Just a tiny bit over four years ago this site launched with its very first podcast episode. To be honest, we didn’t know if anyone would listen, or be interested in learning the nuts and bolts of unscripted television, documentary series, and reality TV.
How It All Started
Way back in 2009 we started a general filmmaking/TV producing blog at JokeAndBiagio.com.
We hoped to be able to share a unique POV about the business. No one was writing about how filmmaking techniques could launch a career in TV. Also, not many producers were actively sharing what it was like to make TV and Film. So the blog was (and still is) meant to cover a broad range of filmmaking and entertainment business topics.
Two Things Many People Asked Us
From early on, we got two questions quite a bit:
- How does the unscripted TV business work?
- Can I pitch you a show?
And while not everybody was asking, it happened often enough that we figured we should address it. We didn’t want to turn the filmmaking blog into a niche “craft of unscripted TV” blog, so we figured we better come up with something else.
So, four years ago we launched Producing Unscripted. Our goals were pretty simple:
- Share how the industry works.
- Share who we are.
- Allow those who want to pitch to us to do so.
- Give away enough free info that even if people never worked with us, they could still be successful in the industry.
We never would’ve guessed that four years later we’d still be at it!
So What Are Listeners Picking Up?
We reached out via our newsletter to ask listeners what their top four takeaways were from four years of podcasts. Thanks to everyone who replied!
We were really happy to see how many of you were using concrete, real tips from the podcast to shape your careers. And it was great to see how many of you have a much better understanding of how the industry works.
Whether you’re brand new to the podcast, or have been listening for all four years, we think you’ll love hearing what the vast majority of this show’s listeners have been taking away and using in their own careers.
So…press that giant PLAY button at the top of this page for the cheat sheet to the last four years of this podcast!
Helpful and Related Links
- This classic podcast about why ideas just aren’t enough – and never will be. No worries – we tell you what to do instead.
- This post will help you get your mind around an important fact: Showbiz is Slowbiz!
- A podcast ep many listeners pointed to as being helpful to them was this one on writing one sheets – Paper Pitches: Five Steps to Awesome.
- Not sure what to develop? This ep on developing ideas wisely might be right up your alley.
- Follow us on Twitter: @JokeAndBiagio – we’re around often and try to respond to most tweets.
Let’s Make Some TV Together
Trying to break into unscripted television, reality TV, documentary series, or true crime? Want to pitch to our company? Here’s what to do next:
Read our in-depth page about how to pitch us a show. It also talks about what it’s really like to work in our business, the unscripted TV and film industry.