Episode 100! Thanks for supporting us over nearly five years. To celebrate, we made you a “thank you” gift. It’s a brand new resource we wish we had when we started in this business. It’s completely free, and it will save you hours of time. Plus, a very special tip from Joke. And of course, a tiny bit of nostalgia from the early days of the podcast.
100 Episodes – Because You’re So Great
When we started this podcast, it was for a lot of reasons.
We wanted people to know what it was really like to work in unscripted television, documentary series, and reality TV.
We also hoped we’d meet other filmmakers who might want to team up with us.
(And we’ve met a lot of you! Stay tuned for an upcoming podcast ep with Todd Lindsay. He trusted us with his true crime project. Together, we made it for CNN and HLN.)
Look, making TV is awesome, but it can also be stressful. We love what we do, but everyone needs to do something that feels like a break from work. Starting this podcast seemed like a fun hobby that might be useful to a few people. As long as it stayed fun, we’d keep it going.
You’ve all made it a blast, and we’re going to continue.
100 Tips. 1 Million Thanks. Producing Unscripted Celebrates 100 Episodes With a Free Gift For You.Click to tweet
Our Thank You Gift: A Brand New Resource For You
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile, you know we wanted to do something special for episode 100. More importantly, we wanted to do something for all of you.
Now, one thing we’ve heard again and again is that our podcasts are very helpful. But they’re spread out over nearly five years of posts. And while we hope you’ve enjoyed every one of the episodes, do you really remember every little bit of advice? Probably not. We all need reminding (even us!)
So we decided to take the best 100 pieces of advice, and make you a brand new, free ebook:
Much more than just a list of podcast episodes, this is a nine chapter book organized by topic. It’s your “at a glance” guide to understanding the unscripted television business.
- The Basics
- Story Tips for Unscripted Television and Film
- Creating Pitch Tapes
- Pitching Projects
- Filming and Editing
- Genre Concerns
- Legal Concerns
- TV and Film Production Tips
We kept today’s episode short and (hopefully) fun. Please have a listen, accept our thanks, and feel free to laugh with us a bit. A few things in today’s episode:
- Thank you!
- Balancing the ups and downs of the industry
- Why our new ebook is helpful to new producers and veterans alike
- Biagio’s wacky numbering system that’s finally paying off
- A very special tip from Joke
- And…Biagio’s NBA dreams gone wrong!
Press that giant PLAY button up top for a gleeful episode with a few surprises, and a lot of “thanks” to all of you.
Helpful and Related Links
- Unscripted Television: 100 Tips for Breaking In and Career Success. – the new ebook we made for you. Thanks for sticking with us all these years!
- Our first free ebook, How to Pitch a Reality Show – if you read our new “100 Tips” and this one, you’ll be miles ahead of the competition.
- Follow us on Twitter: @JokeAndBiagio – we’re around often and try to respond to most tweets. And we’d like to hear from you!
- Unmasking a Killer is the new CNN/HLN series we have with producer Todd Lindsay. Stay tuned for a podcast ep with him next year.
Let’s Make Some TV Together
Trying to break into unscripted television, documentary series, true crime or reality TV? Want to pitch to our company? Here’s what you should do next:
Read our in-depth page about how to pitch us a show. It also talks about what it’s really like to work in our business, the unscripted TV and film industry.